The Helen and Sergius Yakobson Scholarship endowment helps GW graduate students with a focus on Russian or East/Central European studies. Students are selected on the basis of financial need and exceptional academic achievement or potential. The award honors Professor Helen B. Yakobson, who joined GW’s faculty in 1951 as a lecturer of the Russian language. From 1952 to 1969, she served as Chairman of the Department of Slavic Language and Literature. She began the Chinese Program in 1963. She was awarded the rank of the full professor in 1964 and was recognized as the Outstanding Professor at GWU in 1966. Professor Yakobson retired from the University in 1983.