Welcome to IERES
At the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies (IERES), our primary mission is to promote and support the study of Europe and Eurasia through research, courses, events, and publications. The Institute’s hallmarks are combining academic rigor with policy engagement, promoting interdisciplinary perspectives, and recognizing that Europe, Russia, and Eurasia cannot be understood in isolation from each other or from global trends.
Connect with IERES
More Faculty News
Events Mailing List
IERES Programs & Publications
At the Institute
Academics at IERES
Students have many opportunities to participate in the academic life of the Institute for European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels.
- M.A. Program in European and Eurasian Studies
- M.A. Program in International Affairs with a concentration in Europe and Eurasia
- Take courses as part of the European Union Center in Washington, DC, of which GW is a part
- Work as a research assistant for a professor
- Be in residence as a Doctoral Student Fellow
- Work as a work study Student Office Assistant
IERES leverages its position in a world-class university and its unrivaled location–just steps from the White House, State Department, and World Bank–to draw together students, scholars, policymakers, and culturally important figures from around the globe for activities that advance education, research, and practice.