The Institute for European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies (IERES) at the George Washington University’s Elliott School of International Affairs is pleased to announce the launch of our new Petrach Ukrainian Studies Fellowship.
The Petrach Ukrainian Studies Fellowship brings to the Institute scholars working on contemporary Ukraine in any area of the humanities and social sciences. Fellows will be awarded fellowships from one to four months in duration, either to conduct research or to engage in an intensive write-up of unpublished research that the applicant has already conducted. Applications are open to everyone on a competitive basis. Ukraine-based colleagues are especially encouraged to apply.
The grant will cover economy airfare, visa fees, health insurance, and a $4,500/month stipend (taxes will apply).
Fellows will participate to the scholarly life of the Institute and the Elliott School. They will be offered an office desk and access to GW facilities, including Gelman Library and electronic databases.
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Having defended a PhD (or equivalent) by the time of the application
- Holding a permanent or temporary position in a higher education institution or think tank
- Agreeing to present one’s research at a public GW seminar
- Committing to submit a research paper for publication in either the IERES Occasional Papers series, the PONARS Eurasia Policy Memo series, or Demokratizatsiya: The Journal of Post-Soviet Democratization, depending on thematic fit. The date of the research paper submission will depend on the choice of publication outlet and the duration of the stay. Submission does not guarantee acceptance, which will be determined by each outlet’s regular editorial process.
Deadline for a fellowship between August 1 and December 31, 2020: March 31, 2020
Deadline for a fellowship between January 1 and July 2021: June 30, 2020
Decisions will be made by an IERES-appointed Selection Committee.
Applicants are asked to provide:
1.) A letter of intent
2.) A proposed duration of the stay (one to four months)
3.) A concise proposal for a research paper that will be presented publicly during the fellowship (3 to 5 pages)
4.) A CV
Please send application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application for PetrachFellowship” in the subject line For any questions, please write to email@example.com.